Super Metroid Item Randomizer
Go to the Randomize! page to get started.
v2.10 - 2019-01-16
- Tournament difficulty has been updated with the following changes:
- Gauntlet no longer logically requires HiJump, Speed, IBJ or SpaceJump to enter.
- Pink brinstar Wave Gate no longer requires Hi-Jump
- Grapple now only requires access to Crocomire.
- Norfair Reserve area access now includes Ice Beam or Spring Ball in addition to previous requirements.
- WRITG logic now includes Spring ball, and has a fix to require Charge along with Ice Beam if required.
- Screw Attack location fixed to include a way to get back out. (HJ/Speed/SJ/IBJ/SpringBall)
- Suitless Maridia now includes Spring Ball as a substitute for Ice Beam.
- Some minor bug fixes to energy requirements for some locations.
- The randomizer filling algorithm has been slightly adjusted to give a slightly better minor item spread.
- The statistics for Power Bombs and SBA:s have been fixed to show properly.
v2.9 - 2017-11-16
- Casual difficulty has been updated and should now be somewhat easier.
- A few logic fixes for open mode has been done.
- Screw attack can now always be selected in the item menu.
- The animal surprises got a few bug fixes as well.
- There's now a new experimental "Full" mode where all items are fully randomized. This mode uses the Tournament logic.
- Note that the Full mode is somewhat of a beta and might have issues where seeds can't be completed, please report these if possible.
v2.8 - 2017-08-23
- A new item placement algorithm has been implemented that creates a more uniform item distribution.
- This change will for example make certain late game locations more valuable instead of previously over-valued early game locations.
- The new algorithm is only in place for Tournament difficulty right now, but will be integrated into Normal and Casual later.
- Some minor logic bugs have been fixed - thanks to Dessyreqt for pointing many of these out.
v2.7 - 2017-08-09
- A new section has been added to the ending credits containing item randomizer staff credits and new cool gameplay statistics including a spoiler of the major item locations.
- Skipping the item at morph ball and going right will no longer awake zebes and make that item unobtainable.
- Some of the room changes have been redone to be less intrusive.
- The top part of the ammo icons will now show your maximum ammo of that type.
- Something strange is happening in the Bomb Torizo room when Zebes is exploding, go find out what at your own peril. (Results may vary)
- Open Mode has been added, this is a new mode where the following changes has been made to open up gameplay for a new experience.
- The game starts with Zebes Awake and the Maridia Tube broken.
- All doorshells that doesn't lead directly to an item has been changed to blue.
- The bomb blocks in parlor and on the way to pink brinstar has been removed.
- The yellow door shell to pink brinstar gate-room e-tank has been changed to blue.
- You can now access all of the "inner" Wrecked Ship without Morph Ball.
- You can also access Charge Beam and Red Tower without Morph Ball.
- You can also access Kraid's Lair without Morph Ball.
- You can also access Botwoon e-tank and Mama Turtle e-tank without Morph Ball.
- You can also access Screw Attack and Firefly e-tank without Morph Ball.
- Bomb or Power Bomb blocks in place for the above cases have either been removed or changed into shot blocks.
- Any morph ball tunnels in place for the above cases have also been expanded in height.
- The spikes on the left side of Lava Dive have been removed to enable easier Hi-jumpless lava dive.
- Gravity suit can now spawn in any location (including late Maridia).
- Varia suit can now spawn anywhere but Lower Norfair.
- Morph Ball can no longer spawn in Crateria or certain Brinstar locations.
v2.6 - 2017-07-17
- A seed identifier will now be shown when a file has been selected in the top consisting of 4 random enemy names.
- The red tower patch has been updated to correct some graphical issues.
v2.5 - 2017-07-10
- Screw attack and Speed Booster will no longer be available as start items, this was done to promote more early game item diversity.
- The following changes have been done to tournament mode:
- Reverted the blue brinstar e-tank room change, the major item is now back in the ceiling and the room is back to normal.
- Wall jumping up to early gauntlet without hi-jump will no longer be enforced for completion. (Note that going there early if you can is still going to be a good choice most of the time)
- Green gate glitching the blue wave-beam gate before the e-tank location in pink brinstar will now only be enforced if you have hi-jump.
- The bottom of red tower have been modified again to restore the right side to normal, but instead open up a path on the left side.
v2.4 - 2017-06-14
- Varia suit can no longer spawn in blue brinstar.
- Tournament difficulty added. This is the difficulty settings that will be used in the item randomizer tournament (http://supermetroid.challonge.com/itemrando).
- Please give feedback on possible changes and report any bugs you find in the Tournament difficulty as soon as possible!
- Some major noteworthy changes in the Tournament difficulty compared to Normal difficulty right now are these:
- Blue brinstar e-tank room major item is accessible without the ceiling damage boost.
- The first crumble block in early super mockball bridge is now a shot block to prevent softlocking without bombs.
- The speed blocks on top of dachora pit will no longer respawn to enable walljumping out
- The bottom of red tower is modified so that you can walljump back up without hi-jump
- Both blocks in the tunnel to spazer are now shot blocks to enable access to Spazer without bombs and prevent softlocking.
- The bomb blocks in the room before Hi-Jump are now shot blocks to enable access to Hi-Jump without bombs and prevent softlocking.
- The first heated norfair room has had the final platform raised to enable traversal without hi-jump or bombs.
- The bomb block in the bottom of the pillar in the moat room is now a shot block to prevent softlocking.
- The energy tank requirement for hell runs have been raised from 3 to 4.
- Gravity suit is now prevented from spawning at Space Jump, Plasma and Spring Ball locations.
v2.3 - 2017-05-27
- Fixed the ASM patch to not create a savefile from the gameplay demos, this fixes bugs #1 and #2. (Thanks InsaneFirebat for figuring out exactly what caused this)
- Initial support for Hard difficulty. Expect this to change from what it is currently.
- Some more behind the scenes work on patching and support for different methods of randomization per difficulty.
v2.2 - 2017-05-15
- Initial support for Casual difficulty, this is still under heavy development and may contain broken logic and patches.
- A lot of behind the scenes work on the patching system to support different patch methods, difficulty-specific patches, and optional patches.
v2.1 - 2017-04-21
- Fixed item visibility issue for Crateria and Pink brinstar Power Bombs. They are no longer in Chozo Balls
v2 - 2017-04-20
- First version uploaded - contains initial changes listed on the Information page